Zaid is a principal analyst covering primary and secondary aluminium, value-added products, aluminium raw materials, and carbon products in North America and worldwide.
Prior to joining the aluminium analysis team, Zaid spent six years with CRU’s consulting division as head of aluminium consulting. Before CRU, he worked for several years at Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) in the UAE where he led the market research unit and held various positions within marketing and sales, corporate strategy, and finance. He previously worked in London for a number of commodity-focused firms as an analyst, including Thomson Reuters and Diapason Commodities Management, where he managed the precious and base metals research unit. He began his commodities research career in 2002 as an economist with AUPEC, an oil and gas consultancy firm.
Zaid holds an MA with honours in Economic Science from the University of Aberdeen and an MSc in Economics from the University of Amsterdam. Zaid is fluent in Arabic and French.
Public Speaking engagements in 2022:
- Presenter: CBAM: A Cost Driver and Commodity Shifter? – European Parliament Roundtable, 26th January 2022
- Moderator: Trade and Geopolitical Risk – World Aluminium Conference, London, 18th May 2022
- Presenter: Global geopolitical shifts and the impact on the aluminium industry – CRU Wire and Cable 2022 conference, London, 27th July 2022
- Presenter: An Assessment of Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) and its Impact on the Aluminium Industry – GAC Market Update 2022, Dubai, 21st September 2022
- Panellist: Panel Discussion: Green markets: EU ETS, CBAM and emissions – Aluminium 2022, Düsseldorf, 27th September 2022
- Moderator and presenter: Arabal 2022, Cairo, 29th Nov – 1st Dec 2022
Articles by our industry expert
Aluminium smelters stung by the escalating costs of carbon products
Carbon products, namely coal tar pitch and calcined petroleum coke, are ancillary inputs into the production process of primary aluminium, and they constitute the main raw...